Tuesday 15 March 2011

Butterflies and Moths (14): Spring is on the Wing!

Small Tortoiseshell
I spotted my first Small Tortoiseshell of the year in our garden on some white heather today. Sadly my photo (taken through glass) was too fuzzy to post ... so here's one I 'took earlier' (in 2010). I have just noticed a pair cavorting through the air as well. I saw my first Small Tortoiseshell on the same clump of heather, one Valentine's Day in the snow - so these butterflies today are running a month behind!

Update: 18.30 ~ we have just spotted our first bat of the season. A sign of things to come.

2 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

I saw my first small tortoiseshell two weekends ago, I was astonished! Sadly the weather is anything but springlike at the moment....

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful butterfly! I have only seen it on blogs so far....