Monday 25 April 2011

Odonata (2): Damselflies - and other creatures - at Dinefwr

Large Red Damselfly, male
With shadow ...
Query female Common Blue
P.S. My thanks to Stuart who said...

Caroline: I just realised you have a query on your Common Blue Damsel. It looks like Azure Damsel to me (the first black mark on the abdomen is shaped like an underlined U. In Common Blue, it's an oval on a stalk.)
A bit of a jigsaw puzzle!



There were very few Dragonflies flying about, but we saw a couple flit through the trees.

I also saw the following creature, presumably depositing eggs as it she flew up and down numerous times within a small radius of weed. I would be glad to have an ID!



I assume the following is a nymph of some kind, but I don't know whether it is a Damselfly or some other creature ...


We also saw a few Orange Tip butterflies and a Red Admiral. A flash of crimson caught my attention as a Burnet Moth fluttered by the waterside. It was enjoying the warm sunshine, and was too quick for my camera!

3 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

beautiful dragons and damsels and I like your ladybird post too, you probably have more species of ladybirds down there than we do (though we have a fiar number up here too!)

Stuart said...

Lovely pics of the damsels.

The long-legged fly in the later images looks like one of the Tipula Sp. of Crane Flies.

The fly in the last image has wings, so it isn't a nymph. It could be a Snipe Fly of some kind, but difficult to say.

Caroline Gill said...

Thank you, Juliet and Stuart, very much for your comments.