Thursday 31 May 2012

Home Patch (15): Ladybird Alert

7-spot Ladybird
I was amused (and delighted) to see this 7-spot Ladybird prospecting for a new home in the ladybird house in our new garden. I wonder what it made of its plastic 'cousin'.
Pine Ladybird (Exochomus 4-pustulatus) ... I think

I noticed what I believe is a Pine Ladybird (Exochomus 4-pustulatus) just behind the ladybird house. It is only the second one I have seen of this variety, with its phlange and red comma fore-spots. You can see my previous sighting here.

I am about to log the two new sightings on the UK Ladybird Survey site here (and you may like to do the same if you find Ladybirds).

3 comments:

kirstallcreatures said...

A very des res for discerning ladybirds.

Andrea said...

You are really inspiring me to look for them, hahaha. And i am surprised you even have a house for them, that's amazing. However, it seems like we don't have much of it as aside from the turtle like back i showed you, i haven't seen any with those spots. Are there any signals for its companions or anything which suggest that they are around?

Andrea said...

By the way Caroline, can you please look at my last photo of the black insect. It looks like a black ladybug but a bit flat. Do you know what it is? thank you. http://www.abagillon.blogspot.com/2012/05/creatures-beating-heat.