Tuesday 14 August 2012

Nature Reserves (4): Ruby-tailed Wasp at Minsmere


I noticed this unusual insect at Minsmere last Saturday. As you can see from the next photo, it was very active and intent on vanishing down the crack, so I had to grab my camera quickly ... and consequently I should apologise for the poor quality of these photos. But at least I have two record shots.

I searched the web and Google Images, but without success. Daniel from What's that Bug came to my rescue, and you can read about this insect here. For an impressive photo, you might like to click here.

According to the Gateshead Birders site, the not dissimilar Chrysis ignita lays its eggs in the nests of mason bees, and is therefore a climber of walls. 
Rosy-tailed Wasp (Hedychridium roseum)

4 comments:

Opus T. Penguin said...

I'm not really a bug person but that one is pretty.

Nature Rambles said...

Such beautiful colours on this wasp. I checked out the links, and my that photo IS Impressive!!

Nature Rambles said...

Hello Caroline, it's me again! I'd be delighted if you check out my son's drumming on my blog.:)

Kanak

Adam Tilt said...

Very interesting looking insect Caroline. Not seen one of those before.