Thursday 6 February 2014

Wet Weather on the Shotley Peninsula


It has been a very dark, wet day, as you can see. My photographs have suffered not only from the lashing rain but from a graininess that occurs in these conditions. I still haven't worked out which setting to use for wintry pictures or for photos taken through the car window, so yet again I'm sorry that these are little more than record shots. 

The photo above shows the view from Shotley Gate, at the end of the Shotley Peninsula which straddles the rivers Orwell and Stour on the east coast of England. I was looking across the Stour towards Harwich.

Eurasian Wigeon

There was a small flock of Wigeon on the foreshore.
You will find some stunning photos of these birds here.
Wigeon were named Anas penelope by Linnaeus. 
They are dabbling ducks.


Every so often there was a sudden flutter as birds came in to land. 


A single Redshank touched down rather gracefully ...


... and surveyed the scene.

You can make out the red legs!

A couple of Turnstone were foraging. You may have to take my word for these! 


I had visited this spot once or twice before, and it is a place I shall return to in better weather!


2 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Looks cold and windy there! I would love the see your Wigeons. Have a happy weekend!

Crafty Green Poet said...

it does look wild there! Lovely to see all those wigeon, such pretty ducks. I can see the turnstones!