Thursday 17 March 2016

Not quite Zebedee, but a Zebra Jumping Spider


I found myself having to look pretty hard to find something new in the garden today. It was bright and sunny but cool. I headed for the sheltered nooks and crannies, and it was not long before I detected the brisk movement of what I take to be a Zebra Spider (Salticus scenicus).

We have noticed these small striped jumping spiders in the garden before, usually in April or May, but this is a first for 2016. These spiders do not make webs because they jump on their prey, holding it down with strong jaws.  


5 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, they are neat and creepy at the same time. Great shots. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Oh gosh, that's interesting, an entirely new thing to me that is!

Amanda Peters said...

Great find and photo..
Amanda xx

Wilma said...

I adore spiders and jumping spiders are the best! Great shots. Cheers, Wilma

Crafty Green Poet said...

brilliant!